Translate

Sunday 23 October 2016

Morgan Annual Service Day again - So I Head for the London Museums.

Having visited the Science Museum and The Victoria & Albert Museums during the two previous years while the Morgan was having its annual Service and MOT Test, I decided this year to just make my visits a relaxing stroll rather than a study of ever area.   

I delivered the car to the SGT Garage at Taplow Bucks where engineer 'Taff' would look after it for me again. Taff has nursed the car for me since purchased new from SGT.

The Train from Taplow station is always a slow stopping train but I was soon deposited at Paddington Station below where our train was located next to one of the Newer Fast Diesels .



Next, it was buy the daily newspapers, and collect a copy of the Metro freebee. 
Then onto the Circle Line Tube Train to South Kensington for the Museums. 
Here is my train arriving.

Paddington Circle Line, Westbound.

Having walked from the Station I could not resist another photo of The Natural History Museum as I pass by.

Walking along Exhibition Row where my first visit is to the Science Museum, next building on the left side. 

I also could not resist this facia of the V&A Museum, spoilt by the immovable Post.

Once inside the Science Museum, I decided that I would take a lift direct to the top floor to observe the results of a new Mathematics exhibition being prepared when I was there two years ago. 
I was to find out later that it is still not finished so the floor was closed off.

Trying to find a lift that was actually working I had to go to the back end of the building and take the only one working there.

Imagine my absolute delight and surprise when I alighted at Floor 3 and found an exhibition called 'Flight' located on this fifth floor. A floor that I had completely missed during the two previous visits.

On those previous occasions, even using the map provided I had only discovered the basement, ground and two upper floors.

The Science Museum / Flight

Science-Museum. List of Aircraft Exhibits


A display of models of the earliest flying machines hang from the ceiling. 


A Half Covered Wing highlights the fragility of these structures. 

A very unusual structure.



A massive display of Aero Engines of all shapes and sizes including Piston and Jet engines.

G-EBIB is an RAF SE 5A Biplane apparently.

A Model of the first Hot Air Balloon 

A Body Only Exhibit


Amy Johnson's De Havilland DH 60G Gypsy Moth G-AAAH

G-EBIB from another angle



The Avro Rota (Cierve C 30A) Auto-Gyro 


The massive Vickers Vimy IV  BAPC 51


Germany's First Military Jet Aircraft

The Hawker Hurricane I L1592 below which may just be seen the Nose Section of Douglas Dakota V 448 

Hanging above the Jet Engine display is the infamous Fieseler Fi 103 'Doodle Bug' V1 Flying Bomb


More Engines Below

The Gloster E28/39  W4041/G Jet.

The fabulous Supermarine Spitfire 1A  P9444

The equally famous Supermarine S6B Schneider Trophy racing seaplane.

The Hawker P1127  XP831 vertical takeoff which was the forerunner to the Harrier Jump Jet

On the ground is The Hawker Siddeley HS125  G-ASSM passenger jet. Above a Lilienthal Glider can just be seen in front of a section through a Boing 747 Jumbo Jet.

A Showcase of models including a 'Concorde' shape below.

Having flown with them many many times out of Gatwick on their BAC 1-11 Jets to Glasgow and Edinburgh, I just had to include the British Caledonian Airline Uniform Display. 

This Architect's Model of Stansted Airport reminded me that when my Architect Son was in training I managed to acquire the complete Airport Development History in Book form for him from the owners.


This Pitts S 1S Special Stunt Bi Plane G-AZPH is actually displayed upside down.

BTT-3 M1364 is a Target Aircraft from M Target Technology.

The Schneider Trophy Plane side on.

Various Airship Designs in this Model Display

As with most museums there is so much to see that to cover only some of it here probably reflects how tired and footsore I was feeling.

This Rolls Royce engine is one of the first used in the Supermarine Schneider Trophy aircraft which went on to be developed into the Merlin Engine as used in the Spitfires and Lancasters. 

The Vickers Vimy from below. The Brooklands Museum has another of these.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

Heading back to the ground floor - One last photo of the 'Making the Modern Word' Exhibition from above.

In a showcase  I love this little Baby Austin


The Morris Mini Cross Section shown at the Motor Show the year that it was first launched. 1961 I think?

Front View


A More Realistic View.

Rear View

The wonderful Apple II e, the first computer I ever had use of, along with a Supercalc Spreadsheet Program.


I decided to leave the Science Museum to seek out lunch in the Victoria and Albert where I am crossing the open terrace and lake.

The view from the opposite side showing the top of the Tower at the Cromwell Road entrance.

The Architecture inside of the V&A Museum is stunning. 
A Lady I was talking with said that even if it was emptied the building would be worth visiting for this alone.
The Ceiling of the refectory where I was taking my lunch break.

One of the other customers caught in my photo of the Stained Glass Windows.

The Tiled Ceiling, Pillars and Walls are magnificent. 

Upstairs I discover yet another new room - The National Art Library. 

On the wall in a Corridor I could not resist this painting.

The superb painting of the Jewelry which seem to protrude from the canvas.

In the China Room, I take a rest on a bench opposite this depiction of Chinese Art and the use of reprographics.


Refreshed from my rest I need some 'air' so decide to take a stroll around South Kensington and take this shot of Empire House with its pillard curved entrance.

I was a little too close to get a good shot of the Brompton Oratory

A Little Better View from here.

Then I head along the Cromwell Road to Knightsbridge and Harrods.

An even better shot of Harrods and a nice smile from a passing lady.

I decided to cross over and pop into Harrods. The ground floor is a sea of Cosmetics so I beat a hasty retreat and decided to walk the back roads to the tube station.

On Walton Place I spot this Halloween Decor on one of the homes there.

St Saviours Church would look so much the better if that perishing Lorry was not parked there.

Further Along Walton Street, the Architecture of the buildings is stunning. I presume that there is a local bylaw or other that keeps them all painted in the same White.

In this small corner outside of St Saviours church is a Childrens area with small garden. 
This very colourful mural which appears to have been made using a collection of various plastic caps. Each one is held in place with the same type of white topped nail or pin.

Attractive little Pont Street Mews which has a style all of its own.

On the corner of Beauchamp Place, this house gains a Victorian Terrace Garden over its entrance hall.

To get this photo I have to step into a tunnel under the Terrace and look into this samrt gated compound which is Richard's Place

Further along Walton Street the road narrows and is bordered by these Terraces of either Brick & White or All White Homes.

I can't resist a snap of this Very Smart Ferrari, almost set to match the post box. 

After Walton Street I take a couple of turns, now completely lost, to find myself out on the Brompton Road where it has turned south into The Fulham Road heading for Chelsea.

Across the road at number 81 is one of London's most Iconic buildings - The old Michelin Building called 'Bibendum' complete with is Glazed Tile facades including a Bibendum, The Michelin Man himself above the doorway.

The building became a restaurant many years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_House

It is time to leave London and head back to the garage to collect the Morgan. As is my wont, I forget to take a photo as it is perfectly parked outside of the Garage all on its own.

I am collecting my Architect Son from his office to take him with me for a weekend by the seaside so here is the Morgan waiting in their car park, ready for the 80 mile journey in the Friday Rush Hour Traffic, so it will be mostly across country down the leafy lanes of Hampshire.

I  hope that you enjoyed the journey once again
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment