Translate

Tuesday 15 October 2013

I Visited the Victoria & Albert Museum for the First Time in 69 years and 9 months Today.

I took the Green Goddess in to SGT for her Annual Service and MOT today and took the opportunity to pop on the Train at Taplow and run into London Paddington making my way to the Victoria & Albert Museum for my first time ever. 


I was using the stopping service but was amazed at the frequency of the Intercity 125's travelling in both directions and wondered if Morgan Owner and 125 Train Driver Jeremy, who helped me fund raise in Bath earlier this year, could be driving any of them today?

As I waited on Taplow Platform one train gave a whistle as it passed SGT/s new garage on the south side just to the East of the station. Could that have been Jeremy, I asked myself.

Having a career in the Fashion Industry myself I have often been ribbed for never making a visit to the V&A Museum, so this one is off of the Bucket List after all. I have to say that the exhibits made an impression on me such that I must go back having only spent 3 hours and probably viewed less than 1/3rd in that time. I doubt if I made an impression on them but took as many photos as I could so here are the results of my day. 


On arrival at Paddington Station I was distracted by the size of these Impressive Buffers relating back to the days of Steam and the old Great Western Railway


 The Magnificent Single Spans of the refurbished part of the stations roof. 


On arrival at South Kensington Underground Station I was unaware of these Extensive Pedestrian Tunnels linking the station to the various Museums in South Kensington.



Typical of me, making an exploration for the first time, I exit on the wrong side of the road.


 There is my destination on the opposite side of the Cromwell Road.

The Magnificent Main Entrance and part of the Facade of the Museum. 



During my aborted search for the toilets, and before establishing that taking photos was allowed, I sneaked one of this wonderful scene. 

Comfort break over and visit to the Information Booth to obtain a map, I set off to view the Fashion and Costume Displays. Taking snaps here proved difficult as the lighting was not good and it was busy with adults and groups of students sketching and taking profuse notes.







 Some of the many Students Sketching & Taking Notes

 A Beautiful Display of Dress Shoes and Fan, all from the 1760's 

Costumes from the 1830's



The Up to Date Fashions were part of a 'tickets only' exhibition where photography is banned. I did not have the time to make visits to these today.  Once again I sneaked this quick shot for the record. On one of the upstairs areas it is easy to view this floor but it was patrolled to maintain the 'No Photography' rule. I am amazed that this shot is clear ish as it was so dark.

Some of the fabulous marble used on the main staircase

The V&A Chandelier by Dale Chihuly hangs under the glass rotunda at the entrance. Considered to be a sculpture it was installed by the American glass sculptor in 1999 and enlarged in 2001.

An Ornate Screen located on one of the Main Landings. 

The Glass Rotunda

The 1862 Francis Moody and J.Smith Clock made in Clerkenwell.


 A beautiful display of desk top items.


 One of the many displays of Keys and Locks

This Narrow Passage is devoted to Ornate Ironware.



A Magnificent Marble Bust of Queen Victoria herself.




 A Model of the Albert Memorial (The full sized version is located near to the Royal Albert Hall.)


 One of the groups of Schoolchildren receiving information in one of the room displays.

 Part of a Display of French Furniture 


The statue reflected in the mirror above has this superb draped lace effect over the face.

 This Model of the Crystal Palace is only half this size reflected in a mirror.


 The Famous 'Three Graces' by Antonio Canover in 1817








The Furniture Design area Displayed some interesting items.


 A Chest of Drawers made from Wood Blocks


 Showing how these decorative inlays are made.

 Rushwork Chairs by David Kirkness

 Beautiful Inlay Work

 An interesting Bench Design.

 The Fractal Table II digitally Laser Cut from a solid block of material.

 A Group of Students receiving a Presentation on Stem Forming of Parts

 More beautiful Inlay Workmanship.

Three distinctive Chairs by Frank Lloyd Wright.

The Ceramics area was a feast of delight needing far more time to explore than I had today.


 One of the Cabinets of British Figurines 


 A Humourous piece.


A Tasty Dish


 Heading for the Architecture Hall I spotted this are of the Complex Roof design.



 A Model of the Original Gatwick Airport Terminal 

 A Model for Fort William in Bengal.



In one of the Slide Out Drawers I found this design by Sir Charles Barry for the Reconstructing of Highclere Castle, Hampshire ( Used now for the making of Downton Abbey ) 


 It was now 2pm and I needed a lunch break so made my way to the ground floor Cafe. On the staircase I observed this scene.

 This courtyard area was being prepared for some other event.

It was time to leave and head to the West End and a visit to Old Bond Street. Next to the V&A is located the Natural History Museum which I passed on my way to the Underground Station.

On the way I was determined to make my first visit to the new memorial to the Airmen of Bomber Command, located in Green Park neat to Hyde Park Corner.


 I alighted at Green Park Station which was wrong so I needed to take a walk back through Green Park

 Approaching Hyde Park Corner this is the first view of the Memorial that one sees.


The Command Emblem and Foundation Stone

 I waited & waited for this lady to move away but time got the better of me.



 The photos here speak for themselves.


 The Faces of the Airmen in the Beautiful Statue tell Thousands of  Personal Tales of Pride, Fear and Trepidation. It was a very moving experience, particularly as I had just passed an aging Airman being taken home in his wheelchair, wrapped in a warm blanket. 






 Walking back through the Park to Mayfair I spotted a Hard Rock Cafe in this building opposite.

 Nearby the Japanese Embassy is undergoing some refurbishment 

 The Third Church of Christ Scientist.

 I eventually arrived in Old Bond Street, conducted my business before going for a Coffee and heading to Piccadilly Circus Underground Station. 

 Just a short walk along Piccadilly is the Royal Academy where there is an Australia exhibition underway. 

 Across the Road is The Fortnum & Mason Emporium 

 The Underground entrance is opposite the Statue of Eros, a Magnet for Tourists

 The famous Wall of Flashing Advertising Lights

My last view is of the lower end of Regent Street with a line of Red Buses which all arrived together.

An our later I have finally returned to Taplow where the Mog was ready to be collected, Serviced, MOT Tested & all Approved for another year.
Frank 


No comments:

Post a Comment