Translate

Monday 2 September 2013

Our Morgan Dealership SGT has closed to Selling Cars!

Morgan Dealership, SGT, as was 'Station Road Garage Taplow' in Berkshire has now closed. 

As I write, the old website is still live.  http://www.sgt.co.uk/

The Empty Morgan Forecourt 

Sadly, the Cheque Book of the Property Developer has encouraged the Langdon Brothers, Philip and Alan, to Sell Up the cars and to sell their extensive site for development. 

Our lovely Morgan Sales Manager and Friend, Julian Cutts and the rest of the businesses Sales Teams, have had to leave for pastures new.  

However, out of the demise of one company, another grows.

The Workshop Manager has started a new Service Only version of SGT and has re employed all of the Original Maintenance Team to give continuity for past customers of the old business. I needed to make a visit.

The route I chose to get to Taplow took me through the lovely Thameside village of Cookham, reached by crossing a narrow single carriageway road bridge. 


 Approaching the bridge one passes the Boatyard business of The Queen's Swan Master, David Barber. 

The Red Traffic Light gives  me time to take a still photo, as most are taken 'on the move'  

 It is my turn to cross and being 1st in the queue, I get a clear shot for a change.

Through the Railings looking West. 

For the first time ever in 30 years of living nearby, I explore this cul de sac in the village of Cookham. 

 On the footbridge the views to the east and then the west, along this back water to the Cookham Lock weir.



Just to the right, through the Sunbeams, is a very interesting place, complete with its little Rowing Boats. The John Lewis Partnership have their Retreat for use by their 'Partners' (Employees). The grounds, compete with Swimming Pool and Tennis Courts may be viewed from the High Level Woodland Walk at nearby Cliveden National Trust.


 Driving back through the Village of Cookham about to turn left towards Maidenhead, along the River Thames-side Drive.


 Passing the Village Centre
A Very Bad, last minute shot of the War Artist, Stanley Spencer Gallery  

 The Quiet Country Drive onto Maidenhead.






 The Picturesque Bolters Lock. WHY! is that car parked on the footpath just where I want to take a moving snap. I'll try an better one o n the way home.

Driving (slowly ) along the Thames Side in Maidenhead.





At the end of the road is the old A4 Bath Road where I have to turn left towards london for half a mile or so. As the river bends slightly it gives way for a nice piece of park gardens with an ornate fountain in the centre. (I could not get a shot of it) 

 Passing over the River Bridge on the A4 after my left turn.

 I have to turn left at the next set of traffic lights into Station Road, Taplow, after passing under the First Great Western railway.

 An there is the original Garage and Showrooms of the SGT Morgan, Lotus Subaru and a couple of others, now empty. Photo taken from the Institutional Road side.



Julian's Showroom on the left where his desk was located. I had a few friendly cups of coffee with him there. I cannot believe that the Morgan signage is being left for the Demolition Crew to destroy?????


On the other side of the Railway, in Station Yard, I park up outside of the New SGT Garage business.


Having visited reception to say my hello's I was soon in the workshop 'ferreting out' Taff, the Morgan Service Engineer who has always serviced the Mog. With confidence restored, I was able to have a good chat with him about the future here. He is a very happy man with the new organisation. ( if not keen on posing for a picture )

Taff trying to get out of my shot of the 6 bay workshop. No chance! 

 This new garage represents a very heavy and hopefully successful business venture. I will be there at MOT & Service Time in December. 

There is one last part to this sort of 'Pilgrimage' before I head home, as I retrace my steps to drive the other side of Taplow Village to:


Why would I be stopping here, other than to use their Washroom and have a cup of Coffee?

I an always taking photos inside posh loos. If I think they look good as this one did.

Well here is my reason for stopping here. Lars Frossell and members of the Morgan Roadster 100 Register will recognise why when I show this photo. This one is Lars own car.

 Julian always brought his new Morgans to this spot in the Hotel Grounds to take his advertising photos

Here we are today in a similar location but at a different angle to include the Hotel. So there you have it. Memory & reminiscing completed, I park up to buy myself a coffee and take a few more pics here before leaving.





 The Drive Through Main Portico Entrance is at the back of the building

 Reception and small Lounge Bar.





All of these photos above are taken in the same room where I waited for my coffee to be made.

 View of the Garden from my Terrace Seat.

 Passing the Dining Room on my way to the Terrace.

 Mummy, How Tall you are! Two Trees growing from the branch of the Large Tree

The Terrace. My coffee drinking & resting place.

 Before I set off for home, I took a few more photos of the Mog.






Photos taken, I set off for home following the outward route in reverse. I chose to do it this time to try and get some better photos along the Thames. One of the problems driving these picturesque roads regularly is that we forget how beautiful the scenery actually is.


 Heading back along the riverside towards Boulters Lock again. with the sun lower and behind me there is not the haze of the earlier photos.



 Ahead on the right is the Boulters Lock Hotel & Restaurant. A very popular spot on these sunny days.

 Approaching Cookham Bridge, on the right we can now see The Ferry restaurant, which used to be a hotel located where the passenger ferry crossed before the road bridge was built.

 Another shot taken through the railing as I crossed over. 

 Heading towards the village of Bourne End, the Terminus Station is just visible on the left. A the side of the station are the famous Bourne End Auctions seen occasionally on TV on the 'Flog It' program.

  My last photo taken on this journey as I approach the Village of Wooburn. The owner of the house on the right is gradually covering his home with a Mosaic Mural.


Thank You for following my travels.
Best Wishes
Frank   

No comments:

Post a Comment