Translate

Saturday 14 April 2012

Day 5 - Perth to Cullen Bay Nr Buckie, Moray.

Actual Miles Driven Today - 209


I am going to begin this days posting with its highlight. 

As I arrived at the Cullen Bay Hotel I was to meet newly weds Mark & Emma who were married this afternoon on the Beach at Cullen Bay. 

A hearty congratulations go out to the Bride & Groom  


With The Green Goddess just about to be covered for the night, this photo opportunity was too good to miss. 

The lady (Lynne -http://lyndylou-whocares.blogspot.co.uk/ ) relation who's idea it was gave me another generous £5 donation to H4H as well.

When I said my farewell to the wedding party at breakfast this morning, Emma said the she was embarrassed because young Holly McKenzie, daughter of Lynne, the lady owner of the grey vehicle (out of camera), was far more worthy because she had just been given the highest award in the Moray area, 'The Moray Young Citizen of the Year Award'.

This award was presented to her being a Young Carer taking care of her young disabled brother, who, in his wheelchair, had just been placed in the car behind the Bride & Groom  


Later as the Accordion sound playing Highland Dance Music emanated from their Wedding Breakfast celebrations I cheekily requested of these two very smart Gentlemen in their full Highland Dress, if the would mind me taking this photo to put into the Blog.  

The Day 5 Blog.

The Hazeldene Guest House in Perth, run by Rod and Glenda Davidson


Today actually began in Perth at the excellent Hazeldene Guest House where a hearty breakfast was enjoyed. 

Owner Rob Davidson is the son of Blairgowrie Morgan Owner Malcolm Davidson, a Russel Patterson customer.



I found their Hazeldene contact in Miscellany magazine and at £35 Bed & Breakfast it was truly value for money. 


It comes Highly Recommended by me for visitors to Speyside.


Ready to leave again.



The Rational for knowing about Hazeldene is that my first port of call today was to be the Russell Patterson Morgan Dealership Showroom, also in Perth . 

The Green Goddess was looking decidedly Brown/Grey before I gave her a wash this morning (must do a better job next time).

 The Gritters were out as I drove in the wet from St Andrews and they were out again today on the Moray roads.

I set off and soon arrive at the Russell Patterson Morgan Showroom














While inspecting the Plumbing.


Russell and his Son's team were away racing Morgans and Ginettas, the two cars they support. 

I hope they will not mind my photos including their ideal Customer Toilet Facility.


My host this morning was John Printie, who kindly made me a welcome coffee and then offered to pump up my tyres as I suspected they had lost pressure. 

In 4 days they had reduced from 25psi to 20psi, so there is another regular job for me to do. 

John also kindly offered to grease the kingpins but I declined as I already planned to do it during my next stop and needed to get on with my journey. 

So we did the Photos and left John to his customer.



 Leaving Perth I need to take the left had fork to Dundee on A90.




Straight on here.


Exiting Perth, I had a great run to Dundee where technically I would restart the Coast Roads Run. 

As we passed along the duel carriageway I spotted the now closed but once premier Levis Jeans factory where I had occasionally given technical support in the 1980's

This Levis Dundee Factory was used to making 50,000 pairs of Jeans a week in those days.



I am soon on the Fife Coast at Moniefieth.


I next cut through a small tunnel at Moniefieth where I would seek out a golf course I once played. 

I found the beach and forgot the golf course. If I have seen one beautiful golf course during the last couple of days I have seen dozens. 

A Golfers Paradise, is Scotland.



I need to get back on the route north.


The Statue at The Blue Seaway Children's Playground next to the golf course.


Next on to Carnoustie where I missed the famous Championship Golf Course electing not to go hunting again. 

I was going to try and get into the Golf Course on the A930. 

 I soon gave up as access was prevented.


 It was straight on along the A92 to Arbroath, of famous 'Smokie' Kippers, with no stopping along the way.

Next to the harbour there is The Signal Tower and Museum.









Carrying on along the A92 I am soon arriving at Montrose.


The River South Esk opens into a lagoon before it meets the Harbour.




I have to pass through the railway bridge to get to the road bridge.

Montrose Docks contains these giant Oil Rig Support Ships.


Montrose was most photo friendly as I made a circuit near to the docks before leaving north to Stonehaven.



That Helicopter Platform looks Massive from here.


 Staying on the A92 I make my way through the town.


The Montrose War Memorial.


The Railway Viaduct makes its way across town.




Now the road hugs the coast once again.






It was not on my route plan but I decided to take a trip into Johnshaven to take a break.





 I visited the store here to purchase my lunch for today. I then had a coffee, purchased from the local pub, sitting in the sun on a park bench outside of the village store.





I dont know what happened to the Church but it is in a derelict state.



The Little Harbour here. 



My lunch seat, located next to the Johnshaven War Memorial.


I am now back on the A92, fully refreshed from my Coffee.


At this point I get a good view of the coastline ahead.


I hugged the coast road again intending to drive down this hill into the coastal village of Stonehaven.

I did not expect to be caught out this time with the second road closure in two days.





This worked in my favour this time as I was able to take these pictures of Stonehaven at my leisure.





The Outer and Inner Harbours offer good protection for the small boats there.


As I set off back along the closed road I get a quick view of the ruins of Dunnottar Castle.


Through Stonehaven


At Portlethen I turn off of the A90 to try and get nearer to the coast .



Using my principle of when in doubt turn right I eventually found the Coast Road.








The road traced the edge of the cliffs all of the way to Aberdeen Harbour.




At this point I notice the Lighthouse and take a turning onto the road leading to it.


The coast road to Aberdeen required some guesswork as it wound though residential areas but working on the principal of 'keep turning right' I managed it. 

Aiming for the Lighthouse helped.



Girdle Ness Lighthouse.








The Mini version of the Lighthouse on the sea wall.


This route also provided another unexpected benefit as I would not be entering the city centre of Aberdeen but skirting around it via the dock and the seaside resort.




Aberdeen Docks.




It was now a period of Hood up - Hood Down. 

I was on Hood Down in sunshine as I negotiated the south docks in traffic. 
A sudden Hailstone Shower turned the road white and, unable to park, I sat at traffic lights batting away the hailstones with the palms of both hands. 
I received a lovely wave from a pair of Policewomen in a Panda car travelling by in the opposite direction who must have thought I was waving to them.



I never saw anything of the city centre.
The road around the North Docks emerges onto a lovely curved bay with Golf Course on the left and a beach area to the right, complete with fun fair rides and cafes, on the coast.


Aberdeen Seaside Resort.



The Beach Leisure Centre. 


The Old Aberdeen Coast Road.
My next stop was to be the little sandy bay and harbour of Cruden Bay,


Still following the coast along the A975, I eventually arrive at Cruden Bay and take the short diversion down to the harbour there.



My parking spot on the harbourside.


The Harbour at low tide.



 Here I would have a lovely cup of coffee and an equally delicious rock cake from the Harbour Cafe which is in that little blue Portacabin. 

Near the bay I would meet the local Harbour Master Derek Thompson who was proudly busy creating the Viking Ship from an old clinker built whaler.




Derek told me that Cruden Bay had been the scene of a battle between the Vikings and the Scots in the defense of Scotland. 

In August this year they will be reenacting the battle during which the Vikings will burn their ship. 

http://crudenbay.net/

The Harbour Cafe, Cruden Bay


After speaking with Derek, I popped into the small portacabin, which is the Harbour Cafe, for a coffee. 
 Inside, you could not swing a cat. 
It was packed with about 14 local people all eating Rock Cakes. I ordered mine and it was delicious. 

Chatting to the owner I relayed the purpose of my visit and where I was going next.


One of the local ladies there said "if you are staying in Cullen, don't have the Cullen Skink because they dont make it right. But make sure and have the Ice Cream". 

For those who have never eaten it, Cullen Skink is a Creamy Fish & Potato Soup made from Smoked Haddock. 

Later today at my hotel I rejected her advice and took the Cullen Skink as my starter. It was delicious. 

I also had some of the local Cullen Ice Cream for desert, which was nice but nothing special. In both cases I believe that it is just a matter of taste.

http://www.portsoyicecream.co.uk/





The Sandy Bay and river outlet.


Back on the A975 I pass the ruined farm buildings near to Slains Castle.


In the distance I spot the Remote Radar station at Head Buchan near Sandfordhill.


As I headed for Peterhead, I passed the Boddam Lighthouse just visible in Red & White in the distance.

Boddam Lighthouse



Stirling Village near Boddam






The futuristic Score Europe building at Burnhaven, on the outskirts of Peterhead.


The view across Peterhead Bay to the harbour.


Trinity Parish Church in Peterhead.


Fishing Boats in the Inner Harbour.


In Peterhead the harbour route, while bleak, avoids the town centre with the Tourist Route through clearly signposted.

Peterhead Dockside






After passing the massive North Sea Gas Terminal below, located on the A9, I took the B9033 road to Frazerburgh. 




On the way I made another unscheduled visit to St Combs, and onto the beach down a steep single track road with hairpin bends. 
I stopped at the shore to photo the Mog when I spotted the wreck of a Fishing Boat in the distance firmly stuck on the rocks?

St Combs and Wrecked Boat


The Abandoned Fishing Boat on the Rocks.



On arrival at Frazerburgh it was another docks circuit and then back onto the lonely open driving roads.

Frazerburgh Harbourside.



Fishing Boats by the score.

These clear and very helpful Coastal Trail signs follow the whole Coastal Route around East Scotland


Next past New Aberdour, not knowing that I had missed a fabulous beach near the harbour.



The B9031 road to Sandhaven


The Rosehearty Coast.



Along the Moray Firth Coast


Entering New Aberdour.


Aberdour Church of Scotland still on the B9031 just leaving New Aberdour.


Arriving at Pennan the road appears to drop off of the edge.


The lovely Pennan to MacDuff & Banff Road
Another small fishing harbour visit was to Pennen, down another narrow spiral road where I was confronted by the local bus coming up the hill.

The Road down the hill to Pennan.

Pennan Harbourside.






A Good Drying Day for the Washing & for drying the Mog.


As you will see here, the washing lines boarder the harbour side. 


 A good place to dry the washing, if a little salty in a sea breeze.


The Scottish Saltaire  proudly flying in the strong wind.





Pennan is the village where the film 'Local Hero' was based. 

In the film it was called Furness and it was remiss of me not to add in a photograph of the Red Telephone box featured in the movie, so here is an extra photo where you can see it along the road.

Apparently in the film they used a Papier Mache' phone box located further along the harbourside. Since the film was made most of the homes have been sold as Holiday homes?


New Born Lambs in a nearby field.


Further along the road I began to see fields of new born lambs. 

I managed a photo of these few when passing.


Driving down another hill to Gardenstown.


Gardenstown Harbour.


One last harbour visit was to Gardenstown before making a run to Macduff & Banff.






Entering Macduff into the evening sunshine.




Macduff Harbour. 




The Harbour Wall Lighthouse.


The Church on the hill.








It was then and then along the coast through Portsoy and down into Cullen Bay through the Railway Arch. 

It was an in and out route before going back up the hill again to find my overnight hotel, The Cullen Bay Hotel. 

To Cullen Bay through the Disused Railway Viaduct, now a cycleway.


Cullen Bay sands used earlier today for the Wedding Venue.


The story here now reverts to the beginning of this Blog Page for the story and for the Wedding Party photos.


The Mog was finally moved to a more sheltered place in a nook nearer to the back of the Hotel, to avoid loosing the Rain Cover in the High Westerly Wind.

Now for a well earned rest and that pleasant meal in the hotel starting with a pint of local ale and a delicious bowl of 'Cullen Skink' fish soup.


The view Eastwards from the Dining Room Window.

Tomorrow we are going further up the coast to Wick ready for John o'Groats the following day.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Frank.....it all makes great reading and wish I you well for the next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest. I have now completed this days report.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for featuring my friends Emma and Mark, it added to an already lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing good article. If you want more information.Please visit my website. just click on this.
    High bay lights Perth

    ReplyDelete