Translate

Friday 13 April 2012

Day 3, Coniston Hull to Seahouses in Northumberland

Actual Miles Driven Today - 222

The Gardeners Country Hotel - Coniston, near Hull



The day did not start well.

 I should have 'smelt a rat' when they told me they did not do breakfast, only a 'Continental Breakfast' if you take it to your room the night before. 

I have been up, washed the car and am ready to leave at 9.00am. However, There was no hotel staff to be found anywhere. I was unable to check out and pay my bill. 

It was 9-50 by the time someone appeared who worked there. I paid and got on the road to Withernsea, which is to the east on the coast.



Ready to leave.


It was an overcast morning as I wound my way across country through the country lanes.


An Old Manor House.


The Water Tower on the horizon provides a good landmark.




My first sighting of the Lighthouse at Withernsea.


The Withernsea Lighthouse is actually located in the Town.

Hugging the coast gave me the best of the weather as I drove northwards to Seahouses in Northumberland today.

I have planned to meet John Anderson from Morgan Sports Car Club, NorseMog at the St Mary's Lighthouse in Whitley Bay this afternoon so I will need to make a good pace.



Approaching Mappleton. 

My route will take the B1242 all the way to Bridlington.


New Developments near Hornsea.


 Car Boot Sales in operation as I approach Bridlington.


The ornate Bridlington Town Sign. My first and very short stop was to be at Bridlington.


On Bridlington Harbour where I had arrived via Hornsea & Skipsea.  This was the best spot I could find in the time I had available.



 I had not time to get out and explore the area. One of the penalties of arranging to meet people along the way. 

It was a lovely drive but slow due to a mix of 40 & 20MPH restrictions all the way.


Next stop was at a garden centre in Filey where I stopped for a coffee brake. I arrived here via Flamborough Head.


I spotted a farm shop where I knew they would have food and coffee and the ever needed loo so in I went. 

The Mog generated much interest there, as did tales of my quest, yielding about £20 more in much needed donations. 

I met some lovely people there whose son was with the army in Afghanistan. They placed a well received donation into my collecting tin.  

I was now starting to panic as I had arranged to meet John Anderson at 2pm which is now looking to be an impossible.


The Church of St Oswald in Flamborough village.
#

The White Horse Inn, Bempton on the B1229




The Sheep Roundabout on the A165.




On the A165 about as close to the sea as this road gets.


The run into and straight through Filey.



Having carried on quickly I struggle to get this far into Scarborough. Scarborough was a nightmare of long slow roadworks and hold ups. 


Through the traffic, I am now running down the hill into Scarborough towards the sea front.

Driving down Valley Road and passing under the A165 Flyover.



Scarborough Beaches through the Spa Bridge Walkway.

I did not have time to drive the promenade so had to take a sharp left here and go back up the hill past the Rotunda Museum.





The Grand Hotel at the top of that hill.


Two more fans to add to my list.


I am taking a left here as I look down this one way street.


Part of the Funicular Railway.


Out onto the moorland roads for miles and miles now.








The North Yorkshire Moor.


Most of my journey to Whitby was made along the A171 with the coastal hinterland on my right and the moors on my left..












Approaching Whitby.




In the distance I can just see the ruins of Whitby Abbey sitting high on the hill. above the sea.
Whitby was no better traffic wise. I was disappointed  not to have seen the Abbey Ruins close up in the way they were depicted on Television. 
The pressure to get to Whitley Bay, combined with slow running, demanded a drive straight through in each of these towns.
As much as I saw of Whitby


The view of the town looking down the River Esk Valley from the A171 Bridge.



Was there Something I didn't see??

This overhead shot was of a Classic Vintage Lorry going away in the distance.





The view ahead over Sandsend Bay and Kettle Ness.


This is more like it - Open Road to get on with it.

Arriving at Sandsend on the A174. A popular spot judging by the cars parked along the road here.






I have just rounded the hairpin bend after passing over East Row Beck.


My last look at Sandsend before climbing away from the coast up the hill.


St Oswald's Church at Lythe.





It was cold and wet going over the North Yorkshire Moors.






The Big Lay By near to Boulby on the A174.


Heading into Redcar looking for a garage for much needed fuel.


By the time I got onto the Redcar bypass, and only Half Way, it was already 1pm and I was so low on fuel and the ever present need for another comfort stop. 

I went into town only to find myself on the end of yet another endless set of road works at the next ' Cross Roads' where the garage was located


Re- Fuelled, I found an alternative exit to Middlesborough where, being so late, I decided that the only solution to allow me to meet my commitment at Whitley Bay now was to thrash the rest of the way straight up the A19 and through the Tyne Tunnel.


 I found this route out of Redcar towards Middlesborough along the A1085 coastal route.


As I drove into Middlesborough the Battery in my camera failed so I was unable to take any photos of the iconic Transporter and Vertical Lift Bridges which crosses over the River Tees so I have resorted to using these photos.


The Transporter Bridge. 

I have an affinity with this bridge as it is similar to one that I knew, when I was young, which used to span the River Mersey at Widnes in Lancashire.


With the Cradle carrying the vehicles when only half way across.


The other interesting bridge here over the Tees is the Newport Vertical Lift Bridge, raised only to let ships pass under it.


I am just about to drive down the slip road onto the A19.


Trying to access the busy A19 Traffic Jam.

Graham, I got so close the transporter bridge and the other big lifting bridge, I thought of the super photos. 

Sods Law prevailed and at the critical moment the camera packed up with a flat battery.







The A1 was a log jam had been due to an accident, so while we sat there I changed the camera battery and took a phone call from John who was about to give up waiting for me. 

I am so pleased that he stayed and waited for yet another hour. 

All I hope is that there are no hidden cameras on the A1 as I was well over my limit and the tunnel regulations. 

But the Green Goddess loved it as we left everyone in our wake.

Through the Tunnel, still in the Fast Lane - 30mph.


Through the Tyne Tunnel and across to Whitley Bay in no time at all. 





I even found the car park which is not visible from the Road and there to greet me was not only John but fellow NorceMog friend Dennis.

Arrival at St Mary's Island.


The Lighthouse Photo Shoot.

Having met for the first time, we chatted for a while and then Dennis, the photographer among us, organised a photo shoot with the super background.

St Mary's Island Lighthouse sans Mog.





South Shields in the distance.


John & Dennis with their Morgans.




The Bay at Whitley Bay.


As I had not had any breakfast or lunch we drove up the coast together to Blythe Seafront where the best Fish and Chips are available. I would even go so far as to say that they were better than the Rick Stein take away version available in Padstow, Cornwall. 

We sat together in the sun enjoying our repast while talking cars. 
John's Green 4-4 had been completely rebuilt by himself from an apparent wreck and Dennis has driven his Ivory +4 over 152 thousand miles and it still looks very young.

Following John to Blythe.


After our meal, Dennis said that he wanted to drive with me to Seahouses so John came along as well, with me following, where I could relax with no navigation to do. 

Then a change of plan, we went to a country pub for a much need pint of ale. The pub was closed (as they often are midweek) so we said our farewells to John who left for home in Corbridge and Dennis and I headed for my hotel in Seahouses.









Following John in his 4/4.














On the A1068 and heading for Warkworth.




Dennis has already made his turn.




Warkworth Castle.


The Town of Warkworth.







Leaving Warkworth over the River Coquet.






Looking across the River Aln to Alnmouth.




The Splayed Bridge over the River Aln on the A1068.


We left the Closed Public House and John said his fairwell and headed for home.



Dennis and I headed for Seahouses Harbour before going t o Bamburgh Castle for some photos.






Before we did that we visited the lovely Harbour at Seahouse for another 'Mog Shot'


On the Harbourside at Seahouses.





Suddenly a keen photographer turned up to photograph our cars.


Members of the Public were also interested in our purpose there. 




You can see the whole Harbour in this shot. 




Over the Sea Wall, there are the Farne Islands of Grace Darling fame.






Looking up the coast towards Bamburgh. 




 Dennis and I went north to Bamburgh Castle as the setting sun in the west throws fantastic light onto the castle for photography and in the morning when I would drive past it may be raining?  


John and I head North for Bamburgh.








The Magnificent Bamburgh Castle with Dennis ahead.







What more can I say - Delightful.











Photos taken we returned to the Links Hotel in Seahouses where I was staying where we had that refreshing pint before we said our farewells as Dennis left for home near to Ashington and I prepared the car for its overnight, got sorted out and had another nice meal before that much needed sleep.

Tucked Up for the night.


The hotel was small but very well run and just right for me. The restaurant was full which is always a good sign. 



My Omelet evening meal.

Only problem was no WiFi.

1 comment:

  1. Frank, if you are unable to get WiFi then you can use the iPhone for a connection. You will need the iPhone to PC (USB) cable and a couple of quick settings. Give me a call if you need to setup the capability.

    Alistair

    ReplyDelete