Translate

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Day 14 - Poulton Le Fylde to Caernarfon, Wales

Actual Miles Driven Today - 227


I had estimated that today was going to be the most difficult for me to make work. 

This fear was based on previous experiences during the first three days of the trip. 

My strategy to cope involved an earlier start than before, no car washing and an early night to bed on Sunday so that I would be refreshed.



Ready to Leave the Shard Riverside Hotel, Poulton le Fylde.




With the best WiFi so far I had to capitalise and complete the Three Blogs. 

That blew getting the early night sleep. I was awake again at 6am so with an early breakfast was ready to leave an hour earlier at 8am.



Heading out of the hotel I make my way across the bridge heading for Fleetwood.










At the roundabout go straight on.






Heading across the top to the run down the west coast to Blackpool.






Ready to turn Southwards at Fleetwood Promenade
The drive up to Fleetwood docks where I would pick up the coast road was a crawl with Monday Morning traffic. 






Nothing special here as I began to turn southwards. 

There was the beginning of the Blackpool Tram tracks followed quickly by the first tram heading north.



The first tram Spotted at Fleetwood heading for its turning loop before heading back south.

Trapped inland by the Tram Tracks


Ugly Hotel Complex


The road soon switched across the tracks to be away from the sea side. 

The concrete fencing keeps everyone in their place. 





Fleetwood is largely residential until the early signs of Blackpool are visible in the distance.






The Trams are coming thick and fast as the rush hour gets underway.




Overhead is the beginning of the famous Blackpool Lights 


Club Land for Gentlemen.






The Bigger Hotel Brands.











North Blackpool is where the large hotels are located. This one being The Imperial.



The further South, the change is to Small Hotels and B&B's and by the time the space between the Third Pier and the Pleasure Beach is reached,  we see the 'tacky' mix of 'Seaside Attractions and Amusement Arcades'



The First Sighting of the Blackpool Tower







The North Pier at low tide.










I can just see the North Pier between the tram shelters. 







The Blackpool Tower tip comes into view early and parts are shrouded in scaffold and protective covers.



My Leaning Tower of Blackpool.








At this end of the drive the overhead lights are more ornate.


I can see right up your nose!
The north and better of the three piers is almost opposite the Tower and its famous Tower Ballroom.





The more Tacky end of Blackpool Seafront.












The top of the tower, overhead while on the move.



Into the Tacky End of the Promenade Drive.
More trams pass but none are the vintage ones associated with famous illuminations time in October. 

The concrete wall have gone giving the road and promenade a clean appearance unlike cluttered Fleetwood.



The 3rd Pier.










Another of my overhead shots makes the seafront look much better.  



Wider is tidier.



Gypsy Lavinia sounds like a bundle of fun. 



The Laughing Donkey Family Bar ?



Next the Pleasure Beach comes into view with those scary high big dipper rides. 

With my early hours there is no activity to see, only the empty tracks.



Too Early in the day for any activity on track.












THE BIG ONE's famous Twisting Vertical Drop.































Blackpool is left behind me as I drift into Lytham St Anns, home of the famous British Open Golf Tournament. 

All I can see now are acres of grassy sand dunes along the coast side of the road.



The Famous Lytham St Anns Windmill.




I am setting off for Southport - a place of my childhood holidays. 



I can just see Lytham Pier over this sea wall.



Industrial or Holiday & Leisure?




Now, this is unexpected as I try to find my next stopping point at the 'Lifes Motors', The countries oldest Morgan Dealership.


Southport's Suspension Bridge.
I made my daily fuel stop before heading off through Preston's duel carriageways. 

Now I drift into Southport along the prom following Nick Taylor's simple but clear instructions to find Lifes Motors in West Street.













R. Nick Taylor, his R100 & David Randell at Lifes Motors
Nick and Graham Perry are there waiting to greet me follow soon by Dave Randell and his wife.



A very welcome mug of coffee is soon warming me. 

Today, I had left off two of the six layers I have been wearing, which was a mistake. I was frozen.

While I was there Dave attached his company advertising plus a set of Morgan stickers to each wing. 


I left with a very generous and welcome donation.



The Busy Showroom at Lifes.
The Lifes Motors showroom is a picture of Morganesque history with an abundance of lovely photos and items of memorabilia surrounding the colourful mixture of cars on show.









One of the rare Morgan Pedal Cars.






A New 4/4 undergoing its pre-delivery checks.



Some Family & Business History at the 'Oldest Morgan Dealers'.




Unfortunately I could not stay too long so car stickers applied and donations received I had to bid everyone farewell and get on my way to Liverpool to meet with Roadster 100 past owner Bob Capes who should be waiting for me outside of the Cunard Building on the harbourside. 



My route takes me back over the bridge to pick up the coast road again.






The sign on the left advertises Southport Grand Prix Racing.



Driving among the sand dunes.






The sign indicates where Antony Gormley has placed his full size human statues randomly along the beach. 

I needed to go and take a look, even though I was running late.



Another Place Statues on the Beach

Sadly I looked and looked but could not see any of them so had to give up and make my way to Liverpool.






Container-port Cranes come into view.



The 3 lane road in is nice and straight.






The traffic is building as I near the centre. I hope that I dont get confused. 

With No Sat Nav I have to keep my wits about me.






The run into Liverpool.
The miles of wide duel carriage way leading into the city centre are in fact the coast road here. 

I was concerned that there may be one closer to the sea that I had missed but all was well. 





I was forgetting that the many docks around Bootle preclude that as I spot the Liver Building Towers ahead.

For me without sat nav, the benefit was that this road leads exactly to where I was going. 



The Three Graces dominated by the famous Liver Building with the Liver Bird set on the tallest of its towers.




There was Bob, with his R100 Cap on,  waiting patiently for me on the corner by the Traffic Light. 

I was only 1 hour late.




The Famous Liver Building Short of Tower.






The Third Grace.





Outside the Cunard Building (2nd Grace)
We took our various photos in this beautiful spot where Bob boarded the Green Goddess (aka Road Eater) before we headed for the Birkenhead Mersey Tunnel.



Liverpool's recently built museum.






Exiting The River Mersey Tunnel we will soon be On The Wirral.









Looking back across The Mersey the Three Graces are just visible.






Could this be the Birkenhead Town Hall? It is.

 With Bob thankfully navigating, the coastal route back to his home on The Wirral was easy to find. 

It is so nice to relax when someone else is leading the way.



Bob in the Passenger Seat, Posing at the Fort.




Passing Wallasey Golf Club.



An now the Famous Royal Liverpool Golf Club at Hoylake.






Approaching Heswall. 






Now you can see the complete Bob Capes




Bob's wife Jenny sheltering under her own soft top.
It was raining hard now so the Hood had to be erected for the run into Wales and the journey to Llandudno.



Leaving Heswall heading south for Wales.



I am about to cross the River Dee via this stunning bridge at Queensferry.




We were soon crossing the boarder into Wales where I was instantly aware of the plethora of signs in the Welsh Language, always at the top. 






Signs of Heavy Industry here with Connah's Quay Power Station across the road..



Navigation was going to be harder here, proved as I took the wrong exit from a roundabout and found myself heading back towards Chester on the trunk road.



I spot this old ship which appears to be moored near to this Solitaire Yard and out of use. Apparently it is the training ship TSS DUKE OF LANCASTER (Mostyn Funship) which is landlocked on the edge of the river Dee.









At least I am on the A548 Coast Road. 


However it is not possible to see the sea anywhere along here due to holiday camps and caravan parks.



Before I know it I am crossing the harbour bridge at Rhyl.






Passing yet another caravan park for which the north Welsh Coast seems to be synonymous.








All I managed to photograph at Conway.
My one handed camera operation frustrated me again as I approached the beautiful Conway Castle. 

The slider had moved to video so no photo in that split second opportunity. 

This has happened frequently as the list of short messy videos on the SD Cards will testify.















Towards the rocks at Penrhyn-side 









Entering Llandudno with The Great Orme and the sweep of the Llandudno Bay visible on the right.















I believe that it is The Mostyn Estates whose influence demands that all of these properties are maintained in the same colour and finish.




The run into Llandudno is beautiful with the whole town visible on it sweeping setting around the curve of the bay. 

Barry Wynne told me that The Mostyn Estates keep the building owners in check demanding when paintwork needs improvement.


At this point I am trying to find my way to the Toll Gate of The Great Orme Marine Drive.









Here I am at the end of the Pier.


Toward the Marine Drive Toll Gate.
As I approached Colwyn Bay I paused to phone Barry Wynn to say that I was nearby. 

Twenty Minutes later we were to meet at the beginning of the Great Orme Marine Drive. 

I actually managed to arrive before the scheduled 4.30pm



Michael & Barry at the Great Orme Toll Gate.






Meeting Barry Wynne, of our Insurer, Gott & Wynne. for the First Time.
Unfortunately the 'Rest & Be Thankful Cafe', which is along the Marine Drive, was closed so no planned 'Cup of Tea' together there today. 

We just exchanged Photos and said our farewells before I set off for my, also anti clockwise, circuit of the Great Orme. 






Barry had kindly arranged for a Toll Free circuit for me.



The Pier from my starting point.



The Toll Gate.



Two more of my over the head shots of Llandudno Bay.







The roads just climbs and climbs are we make our way around the rock.






The road has leveled off here.






Fortunately this drive is One Way Only so no fears of meeting someone coming in the opposite direction.



Yes, People will walk around the rock.





After driving all of this way I arrive at the Rest and be Thankful Tea Shop where we had originally arranged to meet for tea, had it not been closed.







As I turn and start to descend I can see the Welsh Coast to the south and my eventual destination.















I finally arrive at the base gate. All I need to do know is find my way our of Llandudno.




At the other end of the Marine Drive I needed to find the road to Bangor which also proved difficult with out any signposts. 

Even tuning Right did not work here either. 

Visiting a few cul de sacs, Eventually by ever increasing circles I arrived at the roundabout and off I went once more.











Eventually I am across the beautiful bridge and am passing Conway Castle.






With some dodging about I am on the correct A57 Bangor Road to get out of Conway through the Town Wall and continue on the right road.






I am soon back on the A55 North Wales Expressway and heading into another of the Tunnels. 









Darkening Skies, and I still have to do a Circuit of The Isle of Angelsea before I can end my day at Caernarfon. 






Another Tunnel ahead.












Leaving the A55 at Bangor where I now have to find the road to the Old Menai Bridge .



Following the Menai Strait on my right.



A quick trip to Bangor followed by another magical mystery tour to the Menai Bridge also following a visit to the Menai College Car Park first. 

This does not auger well for the rest of Wales.




Ahead I can just about see the Old Suspension Bridge in silhouette. 


Without stopping this is the only chance I will get to see it side on.





Crossing the Bridge onto Angelsea.




The Menai Strait taken through the girders. 



A better view having passed through the second set of bridge gates.






Looking back when I need to be looking forward as I head for Beaumaris setting off on my Anticlockwise circumnavigation. 

I am only here because there is a bridge linking the island to the mainland.




Looking back at the mainland.



There is Beaumaris ahead.









Beaumaris Castle in the evening light.


I crossed over the bridge onto Anglesea and headed for Beaumaris Castle, which was easy to find, then I got lost in a maze of single track roads. 

I was now getting very tired and developed quite a headache. 

It would take over two more hours to do the circuit, if I did not get lost again.






I had no idea where I was and after so long a day I decided to stop beating myself with a lively Morgan and as soon as I found a sign post I headed back to the mainland.



It is heartwarming to see the lovely Cherry Blossom above the car.



Strangely I find myself approaching the Newer Southern Bridge.


When I eventually came back to civilisation and a road with signs I could read, I headed for the newer Britannia Bridge and Caernarfon. 

I had had enough for one day. 

Anglesea would have to remain as a 'Part Circuit' on this trip. It was, like the Isle of Skye, an optional extra after all. But, just maybe, I may return tomorrow for some more of Angelsea. 



Just a few more miles to go and I was soon arriving at Caernarfon.




I spot my hotel right on the harbourside and swing into the parking area at the rear.

As the Menai Strait Hotel accommodation is Bed & Breakfast only I was soon settled in my room and then heading out to find an evening meal. 


This time it would be a very pleasant walk.




Just opposite is the Town Marina with more boats going nowhere.






It is amazing that one of the things I did not do before setting out was to research each of the places that I would be visiting. 

With Caernarfon Castle being the place of the Investiture of The Prince Of Wales I at least remembered that piece of recent history.




I wonder which old ship this anchor was removed from.



The map indicated that I could explore the whole are without getting lost.






The Menai Strait to the south.









One of the ornate city gates offer an opportunity to explore.




Quiet Cobbled Streets



Caernarfon Castle & the Old Swing Bridge


Tide is out at Caernarfon 









The old and complex Bridge Swinging Controls.















Part of the Moat













The Old Main Gate

My evening stroll around Caernarfon, in the strong evening sun, yielded some lovely photos of the Castle, used for the investiture of Charles, as the Prince of Wales.



Water Feature



Eventually I came across a Wetherspoons Bar where I knew that I would be able to purchase a Pint of Ale and some Traditional Pub Grub, so in I would go before heading home to a very welcome bed. 


Oh! I nearly forgot. I have to download these photos first and write up the days Blog Page.




Tomorrow I will be heading for Aberporth in an equally Regal Manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment