Translate

Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 12 - Stranraer to Carlisle


Actual Miles Driven Today - 236


The Craignelder Hotel Stranraer 


Today completed half way round in days, and My return to England for two days. Just enough to be here for St Georges Day on Monday. However, No special flag to fly.

My day began on a downer.

As I packed the car I realised that my Boat Bag containing my tonneau was missing. I racked my brain about when I last noticed it (it's Big & Heavy). 

No Joy so off to the local Police Station to report it missing and get my crime number. Then I remembered that yesterday at Inveraray, as I was collecting donations from the Toyota MR2 Car Club, one of them said that a Traffic Warden was heading my way. 

So I bid them all farewell, hopped into the car and drove off towards Glasgow. The Boat Bag had been temporarily propped on the spare wheel and would have slid off of the side somewhere??


Some of the MR2's I met with at Inveraray 


I am just hoping that one of the Toyota Drivers saw it and picked it up. 

If so It may still be recoverable. The lack of WiFi for the last two days has prevented me from making any searched for their contact.

I used Sunday 13th Morning to call into the Strathclyde Police Office to report the loss and after about half an hour they rang Ann at home to say that the bag was handed in to Inverary Police Station where it is now waiting to be collected. 

My good friend and R100 Register Colleague David Harris is going to help recover it back to my home for me while I carry on rolling.



 Leaving Stranraer


West of Stranraer the route would take me first to the North again and then across that peninsular before following the coast southwards to the Mull of Galloway.

From that Point I will travel north again before cutting eastwards towards the border and Carlisle.



Looking North to the Ayrshire Coast






Another unknown Folly 


More Straight Single Track Roads




The most northerly point before the road sweeps south again.










Portpatrick Harbourside


Portpatrick Town in the background.












I imagine the sea crashing over these rocks and then running back through that little doorway.




The short route from Stranraer











Children playing on the Beach in the April Sunshine







My route today involved making a circuit of the 'The Rhins', the promontory on which Stranraer is located. 

Keeping with the anti clockwise plan I set out north skirting around the lanes until I came to the lovely small harbour of Portpatrick, with its mini golf and bowling greens alongside the harbour.











The East Coast 


Photos taken, I was off again to find the east coast village of Sandhead where I was to turn south for the Mull of Galloway. 



Being me, I turned too soon finding myself in yet another single track road full of farmers droppings and gravel. 

There were no passing places so having had a close call with the Postie's Van I decided to turn around.


Port Logan where I needed to make my 'U' turn.


 While at Sandhead a local man came over to chat and make a donation. 

He asked me if I was with the other Classics as a convoy lead by a Jaguar had gone south not long before I arrived. 


Entering Sandhead going south.

He explained the road layout to me so I set off on the right road this time.


Looking back from The Mull




The Mull of Galloway has a magnificent Lighthouse set high on the cliff top where a 360% view is available from Cumbria to Ireland and the Isle of Man. 

The Mull of Galloway Lighthouse






The Old Lighthouse Keepers Cottage


Things to see from the Mull


My view from the Car Park.


Just below is an excellent snack bar and souvenir shop all housed in a modern but tasteful building where I sat in the glorious sunshine with a Cappuccino and Fruit Scone.

The Modern Cafe & Souvenir Shop





Three of a Convoy of Classic Cars

Beautiful E Type Jaguar


I was just about to leave for my route eastward when the classic came along the road to where I had stopped outside of the cafe. 

Eventually they gathered at the cafe where I was able to ask who they were. 

Their car club is the Veterans of Scottish Motorsports Club.

http://www.vsma.org.uk/ScottishMotorSportClubs.asp


Leaving the Mull for a east side route back to Sandhead.






At Drummore


Drummore Harbour








Returning to Sandhead


Radar Spheres at Qinetiq, West Freugh.








Luce Bay Holiday Chalets as I travel south again.





I needed to return via Sandhead again before following the road until it met the A76.

I then diverted southwards through the village of Port William to The Isle of Whithorn on Burrow Head.




Entering Port William.








A few 'Scottish Lillys (Daffodils) on the roadside.






An attractive town where I make my lunch stop today.







I am aiming to fine the car park on the harbourside.




Isle of Whithorn Harbour

View across the Harbour

I ate my packed lunch here while overlooking the harbour. While here, I met a couple from Carlisle who were out for a drive, trying to get away from the heavy rain to the east. 

Following their advice I put up the hood.





On the road to Garlieston travelling north once more.




I have driven into the rainstorm at Garlieston Harbour










The road to Bladnoch is too far inland to see the coastline.






Bladnoch Bridge.


Heading North again.


The rest of my day getting back to Carlisle became a rotten slog. 

It was not so much the rain that fell but the water from previous showers. 

The mixture of gravelly Single Track Roads with more Farmers Animal Dross all over the place. 

Two more near misses on blind corners was now making me nervous.

Braking on wet gravel is not the easiest way to take avoiding action when a Chelsea Tractor is approaching on your side of the road on a blind bend.





Going through Main Street Wigtown.



The County Buildings, Wigtown.





Taking another unnamed single track road following the River Cree 



One of the old stone bridges crossing a small burn.




I am now back on the A714 towards Newton Stewart.








A Small unnamed Scottish Castle


I will be travelling down that side of the river soon.




I  will soon by pass Newton Stewart as I take the A75 southwards towards Dumfries.




Another of those small Castles at Cardoness



Following the edge of Wigtown Bay as I head for Borgue and Kirkcudbright.


A Pleasant Pheasant crosses my path. One who has so far avoided a gun.



The Farm Water Tower at Castle Haven Bay.


Entering the town of Borgue


I am now back on the B727 driving along the edge of Kirkcudbright Bay












Almost at Kirkcudbright








Crossing the River Dee into Kirkcudbright.




Looking back from whence I came.



One Mucky Mog - at Kirkcudbright Training Area - Military Firing Range on the A711




Dundrennen Abbey Ruins









The Rain Came on again as predicted.




Driving The East Stewarty Coast along Auchencairn Bay








The sweeping Sands at Sandyhills along the A710














The view across the Solway Firth towards England.




Just catching the sign for New Abbey through the wet side window.




Sweetheart Abbey, in New Abbey







Still 7 Miles to get to Dumfries







The Centre of Dumfries as I pass through without stopping.


I have skirted coast as I enter Annan on the B721 without taking any photos. I must have been very tired by now. I cant wait to get to Carlisle. 


Crossing the River Annan Bridge with the Tower of the Town Hall on the left


The memorial to The Great War of 1914 - 1918






Entering the Town of Gretna, the last place in Scotland before crossing into England again.


Crossing The River Esk as I drive alongside the A74 on the bypass road.




I am just about to enter Carlisle.

The journey objective became a ' Just Get Me to Carlisle In One Piece' mission.

As I arrived on the outskirts of Carlisle I popped into the out of town Asda for a self service fuel fill and took a look at the state of the car. 

She was covered in gunge of every sort imaginable.

So, while I was at Asda, I decided to use their hand wash Karcher System for the first time to 'de muck' the now filthy 'Road Eater'.


Waiting to use the Asda Jet Wash






Driving through Carlisle.


Passing Carlisle Castle

After the Car Wash - My nice clean Mog parked at the Hotel

At least she looks respectable now for tomorrows trip to Poulton Le Fylde.


No comments:

Post a Comment