Translate

Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 11 - Ardrishaig Loch Fyne to Stranraer


Actual Miles Driven Today - 265



Allt-na Craig Hotel - Ardrishaig
My route today would take me over part of the road that I used to use when working in Campbeltown. 

It would take me from the Hotel to Inveraray initially and then on towards the Rest and Be Thankful pass. 

I would leave this road at the village of Cairndow on Loch Fyne and follow the loch southwards until I reach the Oystercatcher Inn at what is called Otter Ferry. 

There has been no ferry there since the 1960's though.









The Crinan Canal -Loch Fyne End
My first stop in Lochgilphead was for yet another Daily Tank Fill. 



Lochgilphead looking across the loch.


While waiting to pay, both I and the manager saw a young woman use my pump and fill a plastic fuel tank and then get into her car parked off court and drive off. 

My bill had already been registered so it did not affect me.



Through Lochgilphead
This was the garage that my old work colleague Harry Rea and I would stop on a Friday on the way home and buy a Magnum Ice Lolly for our journey to Glasgow Airport. 

Like most of the old haunts in Kintyre they have been re developed. This one has been turned into a Tesco Garage, handy for other things, thus I was in a queue for the till when the Petrol Magpie struck.



Looking Back - Ardrishaig seen across Loch Gilp.









Driving the A83 northward along Loch Fyne, once famous for the Best Herring in Scotland. 









Approaching Inveraray.



Inveraray Parish Church.



Along Main Street, Towards The Loch Fyne end at Inveraray.


My Photo-shoot position.
As I drove along and into Inveraray, my memory of the road was coming back making the drive even more enjoyable. 

Unlike some of the Locals, who must overtake everyone even at risky places, I prefer to just cruise at a reasonable pace giving me time to take my snaps on the move.



Looking Along the Loch Side.
At Inverary Harbourside I was joined by a large group of Toyota MR 2 owners who were touring Scotland in the opposite direction to me. 



They were from all over the UK and Ireland and quite a few of them showed interest in what I was doing to the extent that some banknote donations were made. 


I was parked in a prohibited area for my Photo-shoot until an approaching Warden was spotted so I bid my farewell and headed off.




Looking back up Main Street as I pass on my way north again.



Exiting Inveraray on the Glasgow road is a traffic light controlled Hump Back Bridge. 



Waiting at the Narrow Bridge.
As I have not posted this blog yet – I can now tell you that in extracting my H4H Tin to take some donations, I propped my 'Boat Bag' with Tonneau inside on the front of my suitcase. 

As I drove off quickly to avoid said Traffic Warden, it must have slipped off and is now Lost!!!!  

I am hoping the one of the Toyota Drivers saw it and still has it so that I have a chance of trying to recover it. 

The Bag is designed to be strapped on but, as my High Brake Light Cobra has come loose again for the umpteen time, I have been keeping the bag in the car.*#*#*#*




Another of my over the head shots looking back to Inveraray.



Inveraray Castle from the Top of The Bridge (Duke of Argyll) 


Pausing at the top of the hump back bridge gives a very clear shot of Inveraray Castle, the home of the Dukes of Argyll, much to the annoyance of the car following me. Hey! Ive been in worse fixes! (could have been trying to tell me about my bag???)
It is not far round the Loch Fyne end that the right hand turn to Dunoon appears. I would be returning along this same road after my circuit of the Cowal Peninsular. 

Here most of the roads are single track with passing places with lots of blind summits and quite a switchback so much concentration is needed to drive at pace. 

I nicknamed the Mog 'Road Eater'after yesterdays debacle on the Mull of Kintyre. I noticed this morning that my offside headlamp glass is cracked and holed. 


I could kick myself as I intended to fit protection grills to them but, with the negative pressure from 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' about the stickers, I decided not to.




A lovely calm Loch provides a Mirror Reflection. 









The view to Cairndow on the opposite side - I would be there soon.



More Snow Capped Mountains ahead.






I am just about to pass through Cairndow 



At Strachur I will be taking the Right Hand A886 road for a short while before taking the single track road to Otter Ferry.






Moss covered rocks.



I have arrived at Otter Ferry.






The Inn Owners Dog
At the Oystercatcher, where I stopped for Elevenses, I met a local Gentleman, dressed in Scottish Tweeds, who had been a Morgan owner in the past. 

His knowledge of Morgans was far greater than mine so we conversed for about 20mins around the car until he realised that my coffee was going cold on the outside table. 


It was gloriously sunny and warm there.








The Local gentleman tipped me off not to proceed along the short peninsular road due to blockages and mess caused by forestry work in process. 

So I intended to cut across but missed the turning and followed my original route anyway without any bother to the Kyles of Bute shoreline village of Tighnabruich.



Approaching Kames heading for Dunoon.




I take the B8000 straight on for Tighnabruaich.






Strange ghostly reflections in my windscreen that I have no idea of the cause?















Along the A815 at Dunoon looking across to the Ayrshire Coast.



Marine Parade.






The Ferry at Hunters Quay



A Dunoon Ferry getting ready to leave.
I arrived at Dunoon after a fabulous run down a very long and windy steep hill – Fabulous. 

I don't remember climbing up that high. It must have been gradual over a long distance? 


I drove south through the town before turning to drive back north again along the waterfront to the Famous Hunters Quay, where the J Class Racing Yachts of the 1930's used to be built, and then around the smaller Holy Loch.



Ardnadam in the distance.




The Memorial Tower.




I am now in Holy Loch and the Marina can be seen around the bay.
The A815 back to the Glasgow road is another easy fast drive all on one level along the side of landlocked Loch Eck.


Driving alongside Loch Eck travelling north again.




Rather than continue northwards I turned  westwards towards Ardno to get onto the A815 and then the fast A83 for this stunning view as I still climb for the Rest & Be Thankful. 






Ben Ime and The Cobbler, snow capped ahead as I still climb eastwards on the A83 before turning south again for the Rest and be Thankful.



On the Glasgow road the next part is the Best Part as the road passes between mountains to reach the 'Rest and Be Thankful' pass before what is a great run down the other side into the village of Arrochar at the top of Loch Long. 

http://www.arrocharheritage.com/HistoryOfRABT.htm


I stopped at the top in two places for photos. The parking area has now been turned into a multi staged car park complete with Burger Van.




On The Rest & Be Thankful.








Looking Back towards the West


The run down the hill was spoilt for me today as there were more landslide road works half way down the best part. 



Driving down the climb to the village of Arrocar.


The Old Road is somewhere down there in the valley.



Travelling alongside Loch Long on the A814



At Arrochar, I would turn off of the Glasgow road to take the lochside road to Helensburgh on the east side of Loch Long and then by Gair Lock which also passes the Faslane Nuclear Submarine base.






A Giant Fuel Tank 












I had planned a photo stop here but when I saw the high security in operation I just went on by, very quietly. 

I noticed the New Age Travelers 'Peace Camp' in the bushes on the opposite side of the road.



Along the Faslane Submarine Base Security fence.
The driving fun was over. It was School Run time in Helensburgh and Dumbarton and the traffic was hell. 

A 45min crawl to get back onto the Erskine Bridge Road. 

I was now very late against my planned times.






Looking across Gare Loch towards Stroul.






Arriving at Helensburgh.






Crossing the River Leven into Dumbarton


A Wedding in Full Highland Dress is underway at the Dumbarton Registry Office.


Joining the A82 we are opposite Lindsays Garage, which used to be owned by Racing Driving Legend 'Jackie Stewart' and his Family, here at Dumbuck.








I can now see my goal. 


The Erskine Bridge which crosses The River Clyde.

On The Erskine Bridge.



The view through the railings towards Glasgow






The Nearest Road to the coast as I head westward again is the M8 Motorway which I us for as little as possible.



At Port Glasgow I pass this sculpture in memory of the Shipbuilding located here.






Shipyard Cranes in the distance.






Shipyard Cranes in Greenock



Shipyard Engineering Buildings


The Giant Landmark Crane


Once at the end of the M8 there was more heavy traffic led by the Camper Van that wants to drive at 15 mph below the limit. 

Now, I was totally fed up.







The last of the Giant Cranes at the Port Greenock Container Docks.  



One of the Traditional Sandstone Houses



Waiting to take this right turn.






Towards the Gourock Ferry terminal for Hunters Quay, Dunoon.



Leaving Gourock I pass the Cloch Lighthouse.




An Over the Shoulder Shot of Cloch Lighthouse at Castle Leven.





Wemyss Bay's Inverkip Oil Fired Power Station.







The Clock Tower at the Wemyss Bay to Rothsay Ferry Terminal and Railway Terminus.









Heading through Largs.


















The sign for Crossragual Abbey.




The Abbey.
 At the first opportunity, I turned onto the A77 at Prestwick for a faster run to Turnbury.



Resting near Turnburry.


Ailsa Craig - Home of  the Curling Stone Boulders.




Getting ready to leave the Lay By




Ailsa Craig a the true distance from the car.




Arriving back on the coast at Turnburry






I can just see Girvan in the distance.























Now we are moving along at a good pace!







The next few views are of the road behind me.



The weather is perfect this afternoon.









The is not much habitation along this part of the Ayrshire Coast.



Having climbed, we get a nice run down the other side.






Just entering the small town of Ballantrae






After Ballantrae the road swings inland around this small rocky hill and the Glenapp Castle Estate.









I am just running down the east side of |Loch Ryan approaching the Cairnryan Ferry Port.



The Stenna Line Ferries from here go across the Irish Sea to Belfast and Larne in Ireland.












The P&O Ferry Terminal with their ships travelling to Larne.



The long pier at Cairnryan Lighthouse.




Another over the head shot of the road behind me. 


A Colourful Welcome to Stranraer.



The P&O Ferry to Ireland







Just a little further to travel around the loch and into Stranraer Town.






It seems a lot further than I imagined.





Here at last at my small hotel in Stranraer - What a 3 day Slog around this spectacular but difficult coastline .
That was a good move as I was back onto driving roads with very light traffic. 

I arrived in Stranraer early in no time at all, clawing back over 45 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment