Translate

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Day 1 of Around Britain's Coast Roads Trip

Actual Miles Driven Today - 293

Day 1 of my Grande Tour is here and reality and the emotion of the day kicked in as I said goodbye to Ann , Robin and New Dog Digby for the first time in over 4 years. Here is a brief overview of how the day went.

Farewell from Son Robin & Digby the CockaPoo


I promised myself an early night and here it is 11.39pm and I am just starting this Blog Page, and at 6.30am I am finishing it off after a very good nights sleep, once I made the old grey matter stop thinking of 'roads ahead'.





Setting off on my 22 day journey driving from the New Town to the Old Town.

Beaconsfield Old Town


The run from home to Bacton in Norfolk was an excellent start with fabulous weather as the pics will attest. 

Amazingly I got out of Beaconsfield with no hold ups but that was short lived as at the M40/M25 junction was traffic was stationary for about a mile back due to a blocked anti clockwise jam. 

Lucky, I did not choose to go that way around to Kent.



On the north side of the M25 heading for Southend on Sea. 



I made a short stop in a garage to check my route 

Southend Football ground


Approaching Southend on Sea I spotted the Home Turf here on this corner. 

These quick snapshots are made from the camera hanging around my neck and they seem to work OK. It is just a question of Lift, Point, Click & Drop.

Southend Pier End in the distance.


I just had to take a pic of Southend Pier, It is so long that the end looks miles away.







After driving along the sea front to Shoeburyness, I needed to turn north and get around the Rivers Roach and the River Crouch to get to Burnham on Crouch. 

It was here that I got lost by setting the Sat Nav incorrectly.

I ended up driving directly to Maldon.


Leaving home at 9.10am I did not arrive at Bacton until 7.40pm. despite hold ups on the A40 / M25 Junction and the weekly bin emptying near Southend.

Then things started to go wrong. I realised two things.

1. Roads on the map look simple to see. Trying to find them in towns in traffic is another matter.

2. The Sat Nav always wants to take you onto the main roads using the choice, Fastest Route, Non Motorway, or Shortest route. So I got lost for a short while missing Burnham on Crouch. I suppose putting Burnham of Sea (Somerset) in did not help!!!!

I also realised that it is impossible to drive and consult the map or my route list at the same time, so I have to think of a better way of managing progress. 

Not easy with a poor short memory span. we'll try and do better tomorrow.

Helicopter going over as I type, off out to the offshore gas rigs hear at Bacton.

Driving Into Maldon Town Centre.




Passing All Saints Church.


Driving down the High Street and looking to turn left into North Street and onto The Hythe on the River Chelmer.

Thames Barges offering Trips on board at Maldon Quay

The route had taken me to Southend on Sea and I would be going around the coast to Frinton on Sea via the beautiful Essex town of Maldon.

A complete stroke of luck took me down a side road leading to the harbourside where this wonderful group of Thames Barges, with their distinctive brown sails, are moored.

Most of these Barges are used to give River Trips to the visitors



Even the Mog got some attention.


My Parking Space on The Hythe. 

I was very fortunate to find this empty space right in front of the boats.








Arriving on Clacton Sea Front.



Residentially, the north east end of Clacton on Sea seems to be quite a nice area with plenty of free 'on road' car parking there. It also provides an easy and short sea front drive into Frinton on Sea.

Clacton on Sea and its Traditional Pier.




The Cliff Top Promenade. 

The Mog is raring to get going again.

I have just arrived at Frinton on Sea via Clacton on Sea. 



Running towards the seaside at Frinton on Sea.




Our host John, on the left and my Roadster 100 Colleague and John's Friend, Philip.

From what began as an idea of Philip's to meet for a cup of tea at Frinton on Sea in a friends beach Hut, developed into meeting another friend.

 John, who very kindly allowed us the use of his lovely apartment, also served us all with a most unexpected but delicious 'Three Course Salmon Lunch'.


Philips Roadster 100 in front with mine to the rear neat to the tree. Hoods Up for security.


Frinton on Sea from John's balcony.


Philip and his Mog ready to get under way for our drive to Lowestoft.




Oh no! Frank is taking more photos !!!







With Philip in front and using his own route we set of for Ipswich via Manningtree.


We take a left turn to Manningtree and opposite are the ornate Pillars of Mistley Towers Cemetery


Driving along 'The Walls', the road which runs alongside the River Stour towards Manningtree.


Through the narrow roads in the Centre of Manningtree.


We are just about to pass over the Orwell Bridge on the A14 to take us to the east of Ipswich 


Turning onto the B1069 to take us to Snape village famous for the Snape Maltings Concert Hall.

https://snapemaltings.co.uk/your-visit/



Arriving at the seaside town of regal but very quiet Aldeburgh, where you can't see the sea from the road. 

The beach is right behind the buildings on the left. 

Composer, Benjamin Britten, who developed Snape Maltings lived here in Aldeburgh.


We turn left here to follow the coast northwards to Thorpness

We are driving to Lowestoft Via Aldeburgh & then on along the sea front to beautiful Thorpness, which was originally created as a holiday village community.


More of Aldeburgh but here the beach road is set between the buildings and the sea.




Entering Thorpness



Thorpness, where I was unable to get a shot of the beautiful homes, The Windmill and fascinating Water Tower House just seen in the background.



The Water Tower House.



The Thorpness Windmill which is owned by Morgan Racing family, Philip and Sharlie Goddard.


Running through the village with Philip leading.

Through the gates ahead is the entry to a small housing development called Pilgrims Way.

I wondered if this had anything to do with Thorpness being  created by the Scottish playwright Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie during the Edwardian period. 

Ogilvie decided to create Thorpeness as a private place to stay for his friends and family to holiday during the summer.



Crossing the River Blythe Bridge on the A12 at Blythburgh.

It was just after here that I said farewell to Philip as he headed  inland to his hotel.

I am now entering into Lowestoft which is very much a Fishing Port Town. 


It was difficult to take good photos here. The Red Light ahead allowed this one.



I tried unsuccessfully to take a photo of the memorial Stature  located on the harbourside.


A better version of the statue.





Needs Must as on the B1385 road to Corton, I reverse into this little siding to make a short comfort stop.


More Traffic Lights as I enter Great Yarmouth.


Crossing the Town Bridge over the River Yare on the A1243.

Great Yarmouth, is a two part town located on both side of the River Yare which forms a 'Ness'  at the mouth of the Norfolk Broads. 

I have driven up one side to get to the bridge and, once across I will be driving down the other side towards the mouth of the river and the beach.

It is a mixture of Elegance and Traditional British Seaside Resort. I would like to go return here sometime for a better look around.


The Elegant Historic Harbourside Buildings as I drive along the river bank towards the beach area.


Approaching the Wellington Pier and Arcade on my right


Having reached the sea I am now driving along Marine Parade, the typically English Pleasure Beach area, travelling north again. The tower pin points the more tacky end of town with its Tower Complex and the Marine Leisure Area.


Beach Shelters with The Britannia Pier in the background.


There are plenty of Seagulls here to steal your ice cream.


Now out of Great Yarmouth it is a short country run just inland from the sea along the Horesy Road to Walcott and eventually to Bacton and my hotel.


Tucked up for the Night at the Keswick Hotel.

I arrived at the Keswick Hotel in Walcott, Bacton at 7.40pm, later than planned and very tired, but equally elated.

It was a day of contrasts which started with some trepidation, getting lost. realising the joy of meeting friends but the unplanned routes when following another driver.

However, It was a great experience. I need to try and take more photos tomorrow.

Now I am looking forward to Day 2 travelling up the east coast to Hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment